Did you know that PHS and CAES are large-scale technologies capable of discharge times of tens of hours but are geographically limited.
Several EES technologies are in research phases, but five storage technology types are considered deployed:
- Pumped Hydroelectric Storage (PHS)
- Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES)
- Advanced Battery Energy Storage (ABES)
- Flywheel Energy Storage (FES)
- Thermal Energy Storage (TES)
ABES and FES have lower power and shorter discharge times (from seconds to 6 hours) but are often not limited by geography.
FES also suffers from short durations of storing energy (without significant self-discharge).